 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2566
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 21:02:54 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:

There are numerous other examples for what I am about to express, but here
are my favorite two contradictory facts about the way TLC does business:

1. The "Ult Lego Book" pg. 20 notes, "Eleven LEGO Pirates sets were launched
in 1989, with ships and forts; it became the most successful product line yet."

2. We all know that the Pirate line has been discontinued.

There's nothing contradictory about that.  What may have been a bestselling
line in 1989 may have been losing container-shiploads by the mid-nineties.

And this might have happened even if the design of the sets hadn't gotten
progressively crappier (compare 6289 - Red Beard Runner to 1989's sets).
I doubt that the aquaraiders and other late-90s aquazone-knock-off
sets sold in the late 90s matched the popularity of the initial
introduction, and I never really noticed a decline in design values
over the span of the theme.  It's just that what seems like a new
and novel thing at the time of introduction can seem tired when it
gets rehashed year after year.

...in the meanwhile, Lawrence, how do we gauge what TLC thinks is right when
apparently even making $$$ makes no difference to them when it comes to
killing a product line?  There's no evidence of anything but that their
decisions are made capriciously!

There's no evidence that pirates was a money-making line when it
was killed.  Popularity at introduction doesn't guarantee popularity
7 or so years later.

-- Hop-Frog (yes, the mad, the silly, the irrepressible...Hop-Frog)

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"