 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2463
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 15:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Loch writes:

Some things are worth waithing for.  This is one of them.

The bottom line is LEGO Direct is doing some incredibly cool things AFOLS
wouldn't have even dreamt of just two years ago.

My advice is to give them positive reinforcement, and if they want something
kept secret, let's respect that.

But they don't want it kept secret; if they did, they wouldn't have
spilled anything to anyone.  Suz hit it right on the head when she called it
fan management.  TLC wants to manufacture interest in something for which we
have no solid confirmation, other than the arcane whisperings of a
privileged few.  I think we'll wind up respecting the alleged desire for
privacy because we have no choice.  I have no idea what the NDA covered,
specifically, but if it were really business-sensitive, then I can't believe
TLC would have revealed it.

[TLC} also might leak some information (perhaps even disinformation like
NASA) to generate a buzz.

They might spread disinformation, but I don't think it would be like NASA.
TLC is a toy company!  A big one, yes, but still a toy company.  And, at the
level of a toy company, disinformation amounts to deceit.  We all recall how
hostile LUGNET became in the wake of a few simple and harmless April Fools'
pranks; how much more acidic will be the criticism if we find out that TLC
has released false information to merely to generate a buzz?
I no longer hold the notion that TLC actually cares about LUGNET as much
more than free advertising, so of course I don't think TLC "owes" LUGNET
anything.  But why manipulate honest consumers' interest?  Is this the way
"The Greatest Toy of the Millennium" has to conduct business--like some
clandestine biotech firm?
What is TLC afraid of?  Do they think MegaBloks will get the jump on them
if they give some concrete idea of what's to come?  Does Best-Lock seem
poised to attack TLC's weakened front of open communication?  Perhaps TYCO
will resurrect its construction blocks to take advantage of TLC's top secret
product specs!
To those who signed the NDA: I respect your choice and, frankly, envy your
awareness of upcoming releases.  However, it's amazing to me that the only
people apparently aware of TLC's secrecy (ie: LUGNET at large) are precisely
the ones who would get irritated about it.  Does the average 12-year-old
kid, perhaps angry at the feeble quality of Creator and Slizers et al,
really have any awareness of the higher-echelon skullduggery?  Rather, this
seems like a clear attempt to pump sales and subvert the spirit of open
communication first alleged by Brad et al.

I largely agree with you and Suz about the intent of the summit. But I don't
have a problem with LEGO manufacturing interest in their product. I see
advertising (including posts on LUGNET, leaks, summits, etc.) as a very good
thing. It gives me something I want (information about a product that I am
very devoted to), and it gives LEGO something they want (interest in their
product which leads to sales). Obviously, I don't want to be lied to. I just
think more advertisement and information, especially to their hardcore fans,
is better than less, in that it leads to more sales (hopefully).

-Marc Nelson Jr.