 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2455
Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 14:17:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Ka-On Lee writes:
and TLC knows the value of unique figures and pieces.

To my mind, TLC should not be stressing the uniqueness of items at all --
but rather their modularity and ability to be used interchangably in an
overall systematic scheme of a construction toy.  My problem is that they
claim to be doing one thing with the one hand, and do something else
entirely with the other.  System, or collectible -- choose, TLC!

Exactly!

On one hand there is the official promotion of Lego as a great tool for the
expression of and the development of a person's imagination.  TLC is happy
to hold up talented, creative, successful individuals as role models who
talk about being drawn to Lego  because as   DJ RITU says  on one of the new
Lego build pages "There were never-ending possibilities, the only limitation
being my own mind. I think it's very important not to get limited by our
minds. And that's really the story of my life: building new things with the
building blocks I have. Building new creations."

http://www.lego.com/build/features/careers3.asp

However on the other hand TLC places what I'm sure they know to be a highly
desirable figure only in the largest/most expensive set of a theme, not
offering it as a suppliment in a smaller figures and accessories set.   TLC
chooses not to offer multi color packages of small plates (1x1, 1x2).  For
me these plates are just as neccesary as bricks.   A bucket of 1x1 and 1x2
plates .... I would be in heaven...  and where is the wealth of Idea books
of the past?  Why was there not a new train Idea Book put out at the same
time as these wonderful new trains?  I can't even imagine being able to get
my hands on a 7777.  Thank goodness for Kevin Loch's Brickshelf...

In every organization, I have every been a part of there have been different
factions each with there own agenda.   It would be naive to expect TLC to be
any different.  While one usually predominates and is  the official voice,
others still remain.  I am not for silencing dissenting voices, but on such
a basic issue there should be universal agreement or barring that at least
get together on what is "said to the children..."  -making sure words and
actions match. [Are we not all children of sorts regardless of our bodily
ages when we build?  Uninhibited, creative forces of nature :-) Is this not
humankind at it's best?]

I see TLC really battling with maintaining the core identity/soul? of their
product while trying to make money.  Yes, TLC is a business out for profit.
Profit is good.  Workers need to earn money to live and raise families.
Halleluah for free enterprise...  But as the old saying goes, "Don't throw
the baby out with the bath water."

Richard you really hit the mark with your original comment.   This push me
pull me, one way and then the other can not be good for anyone- TLC,
mainstream market, or AFOL.    My thoughts are a jumble and my words feel
inadequate, but I as with building I do as best I can  with what I've got...

Frustration in obtaining certain items cheaply and easily led to my first
Dark Ages.  It's not much better now, but being an adult with greater
dollars at my disposal and the advent of the internet has helped.  This
community of element trading enthusiasts wouldn't exist if it were up to TLC
- because they don't "get it."

I think some at TLC do get it, but not enough....

sheree

-- Hop-Frog