 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2584
Re: Promo set, why can't we have one made?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 05:18:59 GMT

<snip>
Exactly.  Townies want vehicles, Castleheads want knights,  Pirate fans want
soldiers, etc etc.  I wouldn't buy any of it.  I just don't see the demand.  But
hey, do the research-- run a contest.  See what kind of response it gets.  I'm
betting that you couldn't sell 1000, and far less than that if it weren't for
*collectors*.  And producing collectibles is a direction for TLC which I think is a
big mistake.

I'd rather see effort and resources allocated to expanding the bulk packs service.

YMMV,
John

<snip>
NO LEGO LUGNET promo set PLEASE!!
I agree 100%.  Direct and bulk with wide availability is the direction I
would rather see as they are infinitely more "core" to the LEGO product and
goal of the toy.  The gold is in the bricks and accessories, says I.
Sometimes new sets or new parts are good, but not at the expense of a good
cash cow.  LEGOLAND themes were good.  Bulk parts are better.  They just
aren't widely enough available like the old days.
I think that re-running old production lines of sets is FAR BETTER than
minting new "collectible" sets, and all the parents who buy LEGO that I know
complain that their kids can't build those neat models in the Idea Books
because they can't get any of those neat parts!!!  My son will grow out of
his "build what's on the box stage" by the time he reaches 8 years, I'd like
for him to be able to build straight from his mind.  Currently LEGO limits
itself too much to be the expandable universal toy that it envisions of itself.
That is a sad waste of resources.
If they change that direction, they may put eBay out of business...
Just go look up keyword "LEGO" and see what I mean, also notice how many UK
sales of Knight/Castle accessories are running right now >:oP
-Aaron-