 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2580
2579  |  2581
Subject:
LEGO Mania magazine: questions and comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 20:31:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I go the latest LEGO Mania magazine in the mail today.  I have a few
questions and comments about the magazine.

I have always assumed that LEGO S@H produces this magazine.  Is this
true?  Is someone at LEGO Direct responsible for the magazine's
contents?

I have always considered this magazine to be a big advertisement for
current LEGO products, just like the S@H catalog.  Its only redeeming
values are the alternate building suggestions, the two page photo spread
showing kids' creations, and the comic book pages (1).

My favorite section by far is the two page photo spread because it lets
me see what kids, and sometimes a few older folks, are building with
Lego (and I always thought that was the point of Lego).  I am VERY
disappointed that the "Fantasy Castle" shown on these pages this month
is not entirely, and really not even mostly, made out of LEGO.  Don't
get me wrong, I wish I could have access to all those pink, light blue
and purple pieces...but this creation is obviously made with clone
bricks :(  Does the editor or proofreader not look at these things
before they go to press?  What about the typo on page 10 "sets" instead
of "seats" for the Hockey Stadium.  I know mistakes occasionally happen,
but this publication seems to have an awfully lot.

Give us more substance in the LEGO Mania magazine...how about more pics
or bigger pics of the kids' creations.  How about building ideas that
invlove making things out of traditional bricks and not just whatever
two sets LEGO is trying to sell more of...tips from Master
Builders...better storylines for the comics that encourage play with
your products instead of just highlighting the newest thing to hit the
store shelves.  Stories from real kids telling how they use LEGO in
school projects.  Etc.

And so I don't sound like I'm down on everything...I'll point out
something I thought was really neat:

The alphabet developed for the Bionicle (2) language.  I thought those
letters were really designed beautifully.  The artist who created that
is very talented :)

(1)  Although the comics are also pretty blatant ads for the sets that
appear in them.  At least they have stopped adding set numbers in the
dialog of the characters :)  But why the switch to cg style
illustration?  I know that different formats have been used in the past,
including traditional "cartoon" like rendering and actual photos.  I
prefer actual photos...they give you a better idea of the LEGO sets that
they are trying to sell...I mean the story they are trying to tell ;)

(2) OK, one more negative comment...this whole Bionicle line...I plan to
stay Bionicle free in my LEGO collection.  I mean sure, LEGO will throw
enough money at it and some will flow back into the bank...but is this
really what you want associated with the LEGO brand name?

OK, enough.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu