 LEGO Company / 3294
Re: Reply 6: Issues vs. Mistakes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:29:46 GMT

In lugnet.color, Christian Treczoks wrote:
   Richard Morton wrote:
   I’m keeping out of the color discussions, but I can answer this one. The ‘Beige’ on the list IS what we know as Tan.
Source?

   At LEGO, this color is known both as ‘Brick Yellow’ and also ‘Beige’ - color number 05 on the LEGO color chip pallette.
According to the List of Lego colours at Peeron, No. 5 is “Brick Yellow”. This is the only internal name I know. Is there an official source where they call the colour Nr. 5 “Beige”?

   Quite a few of the colors are known by different names in different parts of the company.
I think this whole tread started with the point “internal communication failures”. We’re back on track ;-)

I’m working with Dan from Peeron, colleagues and others to finalize the color chart namings. We should have that soon. The reasons for the delay are long, involved, and uninteresting. Rest assured, that internal communication on the subject has been clear and plentiful (just not as fruitful, initially, as I’d have liked).

Christian, clearly nothing I say will make you believe anything that you’re not already set on, but...

With a company that has offices in multiple countries, most with their own language, there are absolutely without question going to be differences in how colors are referred to. A basic discussion about language translation will prove this. I say Tan in English and my Danish colleagues say “What the heck does ‘tan’ mean?” Heck, I spell it “color” while the folks in Brickish spell it “colour”.

Does this mean that we have some huge communication issue to solve? Absolutely not... unless you believe that every person on the planet should speak the same language. I seriously doubt you believe that.

The important part for our activities is not the color name, it’s the number. It doesn’t matter what how we call the color, so long as we use the same color number to ensure that we’re both on the same page.

But again, I’m not sure this information (or any information, really) will change your mind about the beliefs you currently hold. And once again, I’m not saying there are big communication issues to address internally. I’m just saying that this isn’t one of them. Broad strokes and assumptions don’t often lead to accurate assessement.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison