 Color / 1082
1081  |  1083
Subject:
Reply 3: Communication within/towards Community Development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:26:22 GMT

Heh... I'm actually quite glad that you brought this one up. It addresses a
crucial point that I think sometimes people forget.
I can't talk on behalf of other people, but I am aware that you are
having problems getting the information you need from inside the
company. Its an obvious conclusion when examining your and your
colleagues communication to us.

Kate (when she was working on community stuff), Jan and I are only one person.
Ahem - the Lego Trinity? ;-) SCNR.

We can only find and process so much information in the course of a day. While
Jan and I both try to keep up with as many project/activities/co-promotions/TV
spots/product launches/product status/brainstorming meetings/fan activities/fan
discussions as humanly possible, there's only so much time in the day.
Ahhhh, there is a) 24h to the day, b) 12h average for the night, and
still c) the 1h lunch break that could be scrapped, giving us a total of
37h that could be spent on working for the community...

OK, back to the serious business.

If a single full-time employee was tasked with nothing more than keeping up with
everything LEGO related happening in the world, they would never be successful
at keeping up.
We do a our best to keep on top of as much information (many of my evenings are
spent on the couch reading fan community and internal Web content), but there's
simply too much happening to expect any single person to be aware of it all.
Getting crucial information in time is one of the key problems of the
information age. Information management within a company is about as
important as financial management for the short and long term survival
of a company. OK, nobody can make Lugnet easier for you, and nobody can
help you with the amount of mail you propably get, but the
company-internal information flow is something entirely under internal
control. If this system does not help you, but prevents you from getting
crucial information in time, there is a serious problem that should be
addressed.

I don't know your internal communication systems, but I have some
suggestions (propably not for you, but the development/maintainence team
behind it):

Is information that is being put into this system, properly
labeled/keyworded? It will not help if an item is somewhere, and it gets
simply drowned because the keywords are wrong.

Is access to data in this system maybe limited on a per-item-base, and
are the access-lists for such items regularly under review? Sometimes,
people should get / should be aware of a piece of information, but they
were simply forgotten by the person that created the information, or the
creator is simply unaware that this piece of information might be
important for a certain clientele.

Is there a person responsible for generating a regular digest of the
information available? A properly organized system might even be capable
of automatically generating parts of such a digest. This might even save
money if one person is dedicated to centrally organising, as it saves
time for many information recipients that is otherwise wasted in
repeating the same "keeping-up-to-date" routine for many people.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful on this topic, as I have only the
insight into your information infrastructure as far as externally
recognisable patterns allow.

Yours, Christian