 Color / 1098
Re: Reply 7: Businesses, Customers and Trust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:27:14 GMT

In lugnet.color, Christian Treczoks wrote:
David Koudys wrote:
ANd this is exactly the point where you put in concrete terms that you've been
too close to th ehobby to have an objective opinion--you've been 'burned too
much', in your opinion, by TLC.
There is no such thing as an "objective opinion". It's either - or.
Objective: "Colour change is wrong for these reasons: ..."
Opinion: "I cannot accept the CEOs apology" • -snip-
[...example snipped...]
This seems to be an American way of thinking - I ran into this kind of
mindset several times, but only with Americans, never with people from
Asia or Europe.

Would it change anything if the word was "dispassionate"(1) rather than
objective.  The idea that David is trying to express is whether an opinion is
being clouded by excessive emotionalism.  Maybe it is just an uniquely American
trait(2), but we try to be calm and lucid while developing and expressing
opinions, so that they are based on as much rationality and objectivity as
possible.  That would include trying to view the situation from the other
party's point of view, to best get a non-biased (or multi-biased, as the case
may be) view of the situation.

-Lenny

(1)= or maybe rational, reasoned, etc
(2)= This is getting pretty close to racism here.  The implication that only
Americans are so deluded as to think they can form 'objective' opinions - and
that Europeans and Asians are free from this.  Isn't it possible that you
haven't met the Americans who aren't like this, or that you've never met
Euros/Asians who are?  Or maybe this is a semantics issue (as I suggest above)
where you are misinterpretting what David met?  Either way, I would try to avoid
such generalizations, as it gets pretty close to mudslinging, and thus ignores
the issue at hand.