 Color / 1059
Re: CEO-Letter // The answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:32:14 GMT

In lugnet.color, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.color, Christian Treczoks wrote:

For me, a 2004+ set is either fantastic _or_ it contains noticeable
amounts of bley. This is simply mutually exclusive. I bought the new
speedboat (for the hull pieces), and I will buy the crane and the
dumpster truck, but I'll have to find victims to throw the worthless
bley pieces at, because they are mostly single use anyway.

Standing offer to anyone who thinks that their bley and dark bley and bright
brown are "worthless", made in all seriousness. I'll take them off your hands,
and pay the postage for you to send them to me, to boot.

I'd ask that you contact me first, as I reserve the right to decline very small
quantities that wouldn't be cost effective to acquire, but it is a real offer.
However I'm not expecting too many takers because I think when people start to
think are they worthless or just worth less to them, they'll decide they won't
want to give them away after all.

I could be wrong, and the upside of being wrong? Cheap parts that the former
owners didn't want anyway... .win win.

(although a better thing to do with bley you really don't want, rather than
binning it, is give it to a local charity or club)

A simple (and admittedly single item) look at the Bricklink price guide shows ,
for the last 6 months, the following sales:

2x4 Dark Bluish  Gray
---------------------
Times Sold: 38
Total Qty: 283
Min Price: $0.03
Avg Price: $0.12
Qty Avg Price: $0.12
Max Price: $0.21

2x4 Dark Gray
-------------
Times Sold: 277
Total Qty: 11853
Min Price: $0.02
Avg Price: $0.12
Qty Avg Price: $0.11
Max Price: $0.28

So... although it seems clear that both the supply and demand of the
original Dark Gray (for this one brick at least) exceeds that of the
new colour (no surprise here), the apparent value of those bricks is
in fact the same.

Interesting (if not that useful) information :-)
- Jeff

p.s. I am happy to receive Lego of any colour so if you get too many
offers to send you new Gray let me know and I'll take some too :-)