 Color / 1033
Re: CEO-Letter // The answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 22:32:26 GMT

In lugnet.color, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

Although I have no problem accepting the CEO's apology, I do agree with
Christian about one thing.  That is besides the "sorry" from the company, there
is no tangible goodwill, as shown with the Maersk Blue controversy.  At least
with the Maersk Blue they attempted to do good, and most people were happy with
the results.

However here it is different.  TLG could have shown some goodwill....

1) by saying that well we still have so and so much extra old gray pellets left,
what pieces (by concensus) would you folks like to have made from these....

2) if no old gray pellets remain, then TLG could have said "OK, we don't have
any more old color pellets, but we have lots of new pellets, what parts would
you like (by concensus) made from these...

It is not just a matter of switching colors for most people who have a lot of
old and new gray.  It is that TLG is VERY stingy when it comes to producing
parts in specific colors.  Take the 2x2 classic windows for example.  In gray
they were only found in 1 early 80's set, the European only #7740 Intercity
train.  None seen since in any sets, and these are going for $4-$7 in Bricklink.
Same situation for the 2x2x3 double convex steep slopes in gray.  They are
mighty rare and expensive in Bricklink, $4-$10 each.  And neither of these parts
are available in the new gray.

There is finally a complete selection of old gray regular sloped bricks (all 12
types are available).  Ditto for the low slopes (with the 3x3 double convex) and
steep slopes (with that rediculously expensive 2x2x3 double convex and the 2x2x2
peak).  Now with new gray, you cannot get a complete system of slopes.  It may
take years and years for all the necessary blue-gray parts to finally come out
in some future sets (and then in Bricklink).  Ditto for Lego windows/doors.

So if TLG is serious about how badly they feel, then they could show it by
making some goodwill gestures by providing some old/new gray parts that may not
otherwise be available, or not available for years to come.

Given that Gary possesses probably a longer view and better expertise regarding
past production matters and parts availability than anyone on LUGNET, I think
this post ought to get more attention.

My statement, when it became obvious the change was deliberate and permanent
(way back in the early days of the whole brouha), was that if we can get a good
mix of the "strange" building parts, so rare in the old greys, made in the new
greys, it would be a positive change.  The key for the large-scale builders is
to make the new colors available in useful quantities and mixes.  At present
they are not.  A very simple (though not necessarily easy!) way to make the new
colors viable would be to make parts packs or buckets available in those colors
post-haste, with complete mixes.

On the positive side, the change of color has caused a lot of the old color
stuff to appear in Pick-a-Brick bins at the LL parks, which has been a boon.
There's little as wonderful as buying three or four pounds of light grey
macaroni (though buying twelve pounds of light grey 3x3 convex low slopes is
pretty close).

best

LFB