 Color / 1109
Re: Reply 6: Issues vs. Mistakes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:51:48 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:
I'm working with Dan from Peeron, colleagues and others to finalize the color
chart namings. We should have that soon. The reasons for the delay are long,
involved, and uninteresting. Rest assured, that internal communication on the
subject has been clear and plentiful (just not as fruitful, initially, as I'd
have liked).
This is good news! Actually, this would have been an excellent reply to
the requests for clarification in the discussion about the list.

Christian, clearly nothing I say will make you believe anything that you're not
already set on, but...
Oh, come on. I'm not as stubborn as you think ;-)

With a company that has offices in multiple countries, most with their own
language, there are absolutely without question going to be differences in how
colors are referred to. A basic discussion about language translation will prove
this. I say Tan in English and my Danish colleagues say "What the heck does
'tan' mean?" Heck, I spell it "color" while the folks in Brickish spell it
"colour".
Well, of course it's "colour" - It't not the fault of the British that
the insubordinate colonists forgot how to spell ;-)

Does this mean that we have some huge communication issue to solve? Absolutely
not... unless you believe that every person on the planet should speak the same
language. I seriously doubt you believe that.
No, I do not believe we all should speak the same language. Or would you
like to learn Chinese? (You see, it's a question of majorities... ;-)

The important part for our activities is not the color name, it's the number. It
doesn't matter what how we call the color, so long as we use the same color
number to ensure that we're both on the same page.
OK, with you so far. Well, the correct colour numbers were all that we
were asking for.

This is what strikes me as odd. If this list is as universal for your
company as you claim, a clean internal communication of this list is
very important. The best way to do this is to list the numbers, maybe
along a list of names, but with the numbers being the prime information.
Assuming that your company does the right thing here, you propably had
the list with the numbers of the universal colours. Where was the
problem in publishing the numbers alongside the names? It would have
been the easiest way to prevent communication problems in the first
place. OK, it might be that some of the (new) colours are not yet on the
peeron list - but the most important aspect of the UC list is which of
the colours known so far will be spared.

But again, I'm not sure this information (or any information, really) will
change your mind about the beliefs you currently hold. And once again, I'm not
saying there are big communication issues to address internally. I'm just saying
that this isn't one of them. Broad strokes and assumptions don't often lead to
accurate assessement.
I primarily believe that there is room for improvement. And my sentence
about being "back on track" was intended as a pun - sorry if I was not
clear enough on that.

OK, let my try to clarify what I was aiming at:

There is a colour chart at Peerons' which we were told holds the
official numbers and english names for the colours your company uses.

The wording of your "universal color" (sic ;-) mailing
<http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=2605> used neither official numbers nor
official names (and you even provided a link to peeron in your
mailing!). Several people asked for clarification of the unclear
entries. No reaction whatsoever came - at least to the public. There
have even been people opening new threads in the group asking for a
clarification - still nothing. And you know how much the colour issues
are keeping people here on the edge of their seats.

Your reaction (or lack of it) in the
<http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=2605> thread and your answer in the
<http://news.lugnet.com/color/?n=1061> thread gave the impression that
the the whole universal colour business was dead, gone and buried for you...

It is nice to finally hear that there was/is some activities on that
frontier. A simple post in the likeness of "We are aware that there are
some ambiguities to solve, we are working on it" would have been
sufficient to tell us that the issue has been acknowledged. OK,
questions are bound to arise if nothing new pops up for some time, but
it can be seen that the problem has been noticed as such.

Thank you again for working on this issue!

Yours, Christian