 Color / 1068
Re: CEO-Letter // The answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:23:54 GMT

Although TLC itself is having problems, the total financial background
of the owners is quite sound. I even doubt that a switchback would drive
LEGO out of business. The brand is so valuable, even _if_ TLC would go
down the drain, the brand would survive.

Assumptions.  How are you equating the owners to TLG?  Those are separate
statements that don't have commonality.  Yes, TLG is a private company, but the
owner of the company isn't the CEO.  You "doubt a switchback would drive TLG out
of business"...what makes you the expert?

As I wrote, I can understand their failure to notice the AFOLs just
beacuse of their internal communication and information mismanagement,
which the poved to us time and again.

Guess what--this happens in every big company around the world.  I work for an
international company, and I see this happen all the time.  What makes you think
this happens only at ONE company?

(snip)
That is my hope, too. Communication, both internal and with the real
world, was been the big weak point of this company.

Again--show me an international (or big) company that doesn't suffer from
this...

IMHO. Lego Direct is just a way to get more revenue,
it is not about real communication. Community Development is something good,
although a lot of aspects are still unclear, and as long as we customers
feed the people from CD with information out of their company which they
should have to know in the first place, the communication problem
persists. Additionally, there is a lot of straightlaced procedural stuff
that prevents proper communication[1]. We still have to see what will
grow from that sworn-to-secrecy Ambassador unit: Which catastrophies
will they be able to prevent?

Ok, what's wrong with that?  Isn't the purpose of a business to generate
revenue?  LEGO Direct was in charge of Shop-At-Home, so that's how they got
revenue.  I'm assuming that Community Development grew out of Lego Direct, but
now it's separate from LEGO Direct.

I, personally, do not mix. I have a few wrong coloured elements, which
are either in their sets on the shelf, or in a special container. I'll
sell them off to those who want them (or, as nobody in my vincinity
wants them, throw them in the bin) and keep the parts (in other colours)
I need.

I won't even start on that bit of sh..um..stuff.  I don't recall ever seeing a
LEGO promise that stated color matching was a standard they adhered to.  This is
merely an assumption when the word "compatible" was said.

Take two pairs of shoes--one red, one blue.  Can you wear one red shoe on your
left foot, and one blue shoe on the right foot?  Yes?  Well, then those shoes
are compatible with your feet.  The colors don't match?  Well, that's not
compatibility--that's personal preference (apologies to all those interior
decorators out there who may disagree with me on that)

I still have yet to find someone make a convincing argument from a business
perspective why the colors need to change back.

Granted, I personally would like to see old grays as well as new grays, but I
know it's not possible--at least not right now.

Ok, so you say TLG has problems?  show me a company that doesn't.  As far as I'm
concerned, TLG has shown incredible strides in working with AFOL's, especially
in the cutthroat toy business.

So, continue to rant and rave at TLG, and destroy the already well-established
communication you have with the company.  A company where the CEO responds to a
letter, and the company takes time to work with those outside the company.  This
could be a case of the proverbial hand biting the hand that feeds it.

Instead of preaching the bad, try to look at the good as well.

Scott Lyttle