 Color / 1057
Re: CEO-Letter // The answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:55:42 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.color, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Wow!  That has got to be one of the most negative posts I have ever read--

Have you ever read any of Christian's posts before? :)

I see this case, with the non-contact with the AFOL community about the\
colour change, to be not even an oversight on their part--why should the flea
wag the tail of the dog?  If we don't contribute a significant amount of coin
to TLC's bottom line, whywould we be taken into consideration.

Well, I *would* agree except insofar as they've said that if they *had* known
our reaction that they *wouldn't* have made the change. It says to me that in
their view, the cost of the new colors wasn't worth it, which is pretty much
what everyone guessed all along. The new colors are nice and all, but they're
probably not boosting sales by any ridiculous margin. And the negative AFOL
response (and reduced AFOL sales) are enough to offset that.

For other things, I think you're totally right. Asking AFOL's about the new
Knight's Kingdom lines? Pft. We're NOT the target audience. The new Death Star,
or the Building Bonanza? It might be worth discussing it with a few AFOLs for
some response.

Bottom line--like the new colours/don't like the new colours, like the new
sets/don't like the new sets.  But if you are this pissed at TLC (as the tone
of your post shows quite clearly) for changing three of their colours, then
it's time, in my mind, to take a break from this hobby.

I have to agree that Christian just sounds a bit too overly worked up at the
hobby. I'd urge him (and many others) to calm down.

I do agree with what Gary posted earlier--it would be a nice gesture for TLC
to produce old or new grey pieces in bulk, such as roof elements, which would
help the building process out immensely.

While that would kick some serious butt, I'm kinda forced to wonder how much of
a market there would be for that. Deciding which pieces to put in there and in
what concentration would be very difficult. But it also doesn't really alleviate
much for most builders. I mean, according to Peeron, 19% of my collection is
light grey. 33% (almost on the button) are old colors. So that's about 100,000
pieces that I'd need to re-purchase to get myself up to speed on the new colors.
So even if they did offer those packs, I'm probably not shelling out thousands
of dollars just to be where I am already, just in a new color. I'd still have to
bide my time and wait to amass bulk naturally.

I dunno. I guess while I'd love it if TLC offered bulk new-colors, that I'm
thinking it would probably get a cold reception income-wise, compared to what it
would cost.

DaveE