 Color / 1097
Re: Reply 6: Issues vs. Mistakes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:09:02 GMT

In lugnet.color, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Jake and later the CEO apologised for the mistake that was made. Now
this is twofold: Jake was neither responsible in any way for this, nor
had he any power whatsoever to turn the decision around. His only
connection is that he communicates this to us. An apology by him
therefor is not appropriate. Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, on the other hand,
has the chance to change something here. He didn't. Instead he
apologized. This, in my (MY!) opinion, is not enough.

Actually, is that true? At the time, was JVK in a position to reverse the color
change? He wasn't the CEO back then. IIRC he was a vice president of some sort?
Was he even in charge of that division of Lego? I honestly don't know, I'm just
asking if Jorgen really WAS in that position.

In short, both apologies are the same. They're from the company. Not
individuals. Jake's apology (which I don't directly recall) wasn't intended (I
don't think) to resemble a *personal* apology, but one from the company. Same
with Jorgen's, I imagine. Would a personal level apology from everyone directly
involved be somehow better?

Your definition of 'real' is only a 'reversal of the decision'--bring back
old gray.  That's your only 'real' option, from what I'm reading, and
anything else the company has done, or may do in light of the 'colour camp
protest' is not 'real'.

This is not entirely correct. You have to distinguish between internal
and external results. As I stated above, there have been a loot of good
things happened in the aftermath - all of them internal.

Exactly how is Dave K not entirely correct? Is there truly any reaction
whatsoever that could satisfy you OTHER than bringing back the old grays? The
only other option I can think of that MIGHT satisfy you would be for the company
to offer to replace all your OLD gray with NEW gray. For either fantastically
cheap or for free.

And they actually DID do something 'real' if you recall-- they offered classic
colors in bulk packs. Gray, dark gray, brown brick and plate packs. Although I
expect this didn't satisfy you.

They also put the new colors on the universal "never-change-again" list, to make
sure that other colors like tan aren't changed. Is that immediately external?
Possibly. Were they scheduling another color change for 2005 after they saw the
results of the 1st change? Did this put a stop to it? I dunno. But I'll wager if
it was scheduled, it stopped thanks to things like AFOL reaction. And that would
definitely be external.

But really, is there something else other than bringing back the old colors that
would satisfy you? If so, what?

Well thats the way I see it. (TLC) owes (the customer).

Nah. They owe us just as much as we owe them. They do something dumb? They pay
for it financially. Not ethically.

Shopkeepers got sets returned because parents thought that bley was a
packing/production mistake.

Really? Now that's kind of interesting. I hadn't heard that before, but I
thought it might happen in extremely isolated incidents. Was this something that
store owners reported, or is this from customers who returned items? Any idea
how much we're talking about?

This is a matter of perspective. I do not care much for "civil",
actually. I consider "rational" to be more important.

Noble, but dangerous. Emotions easily get in the way for many people. They often
cloud the issue. If by being civil you are able to acheive the same results, I
see no reason not to be so, short of attempting to humiliate.

DaveE