 Color / 1095
Re: Reply 4: A simple case of communication courtesy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:44:35 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:
I'm doing my best to reply and acknowledge everything I read and receive. (As is
Jan) The trouble comes from the sheer volume of communication and the small
number of people involved.
Acknowledged.

Kate (when she was working on community) and Jan are
both responsible for other non-community related tasks on top of their community
support roles. I'm the only person that is working full-time with adult fans at
the moment, and even that is new within the last 2+ years. (Trust me, I'd LOVE
to have this change... and hopefully after this year when, fingers crossed, our
budget numbers improve, I'll be able to add some help)
What other duties does Jan have? I had the impression that CD was a
fulltime job for him.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I was recently looking at my records and
it looks like I've received about 15,000 emails from fans alone in the 4.5 years
I've been with the company (I have a very strict policy of responding to ALL fan
emails I receive, when appropriate, so you can imagine I've sent nearly that
many as well) I've read thousands of forum posts, responded to many (I was in
the top 100 posters on LUGNET last year, if I recall). I check-in with at least
10-15 LEGO related sites each morning, and throughout the day. (Webmasters, if
you love me, you'll add RSS feeds!)
Yep. I can understand that. In ye olden days I had times where I had to
process (i.e. at least read enough to see wether it was relevant or not)
more than a thousand emails a day. And that was before spam came into
existence. Speed reading can be very handy sometimes...

Add to that IM conversations and phone calls, and you can imagine that replying
to every single thing that comes my way, as well as keeping up with doing new
projects is... tricky. Then Christian also wants Jan and me to keep up with
every project that we have going on in the company... ouch! :)
I've heard that people living on the edge are the best performers, so
it's just a way of keeping you productive ;-)

And in all seriousness, you're absolutely right - I should be striving to
increase my acknowledgment rate. My goal, however unrealistic, is to be able to
respond to every request/post with not only an initial acknowledgment, but a
future answer.
Good luck with that. Are you using some workflow system to do that, or
is it still "just email"? A good system can take care about things like
contact organisation and follow-up management, and can save a lot of
time once one gets used to it.

Anyway, I'm about 15 minutes late leaving for the airport (trip to Billund). I
will read (but may not reply to all) of your discussion points in this thread.
Have a good flight! And thank you for taking the time.

Thanks again for your well-reasoned posts. As you discovered in person, I've
never met a discussion/debate that I didn't like. :)
I would like to continue this discussion in person, alas, I'll have to
skip TSL2005 - will you attend Legoworld 2005 in Zwolle?

Yours, Christian