 Color / 1055
Re: CEO-Letter // The answer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:46:44 GMT

In lugnet.color, Joel Midgley wrote:
In lugnet.color, David Koudys wrote:
I find that this mindset--"wrong coloured elements", "victims to throw the
worthless bley pieces at", etc. to be the worrisome issue.  The new colours
aren't wrong.

That really is a matter of perspective.  For persons who have spent years
amassing large quantities of grey and dark grey, these bley pieces are
incompatable with their collections.  Even if an individual does come upon a
large amount of bley, it doesn't really change the fact that it is incompatable
with his or her original collection of grey.

Incompatible would be me receiving a Toyota quarter panel for my Dodge Dakota--a
Toyota part cannot fit on my Dodge--that's the definition of incompatible.  If I
receive a dark grey Dakota panel whereas my truck is light grey, the part is
perfectly compatible--there will, however, be a colour mismatch.  A new grey
part and an old grey part work *exactly* the same--the parts are not
incompatible.  It's a colour preference at the very most.  Incompatibility means
a 'failure to work properly', not a 'failure to please the eye' (this coming
from a guy who has zero fashion sense)

Here's a concept that most of you 'bleyers' are missing--If TLC kept the old
grey and added these new colours, there wouldn't have been a peep--or there
would have--"Oooh, look what I built combining these new colours with these old
colours!"

Actually, I have always found the constant increase in colours troubling.  There
are simply too many colours in the LEGO palette.  Even LEGO has recognized that
this continuing trend towards more colours has become absurd.  Bley and grey are
simply not not compatable.

Yes there are too many colours, And TLC agrees with this assessment, and they're
doing something about it (so we're told).  That said, I'd like to see the old
greys come back.  But that's a personal preference and I won't go on a holy
jihad against TLC until they switch back.  A matter of proper perspective,
maybe.

Bottom line--like the new colours/don't like the new colours, like the new
sets/don't like the new sets.  But if you are this pissed at TLC (as the tone of
your post shows quite clearly) for changing three of their colours, then it's
time, in my mind, to take a break from this hobby.

Now this bothers me!  Every time somebody disagrees with a decision made by
LEGO, somebody else suggests that they should leave the hobby!  I am not a LEGO
employee and I don't have to tow the company line.  Just because some of us are
angry with the LEGO Group for implementing this colour change doesn't mean that
we are ready to pack it up and call it a day!  I like LEGO's 2005 product line.
I just choose to avoid sets with excessive amounts of bley.  I will continue to
purchase my grey elements from the secondary market.  LEGO's poor decisions, or
financial well-being will not prevent me from enjoying this hobby.

And I'm not 'if you don't like this colour decision, leave the hobby'.  I'm
like, 'if you dislike TLC to this extent--if you think there's a history of
mismanagement, and your entire post is a tirade against TLC, then it maybe time
for you to take a break.'  Therein is all the difference in the world.

I reiterate, would anyone be this disenfranchised at all had TLC just introduced
these three new colours and not discontinued the old ones?  Of course not.
Therefore these are not 'wrong coloured elements'.  They work exactly the same
with any other LEGO piece.

The fact of the matter is that they did discontinue the old colours!  And the
way I see it, bley and grey don't mix!  These colours actually clash with each
other!  Its not like other colours which are so dis-similar that they can be
used together.  It is apparent that bley and grey were meant to be one and the
same.  That being said, bley bricks are incorrectly coloured!

Not to TLC they aren't.  And to that extent, not to many fans.  Furthermore, if
the issue is the discontinuation of the 'old colours' then that's the issue.
Focus on that.  What we have here, however, is much like the kids being angry at
the step mom, just 'cause dad got remarried--she could be the nicest woman in
the world--doesn't matter to the kids, though.

So as I say, you can be pissed at the discontinuation of the old colours, but
that does not automatically equate into the new colours being wrong--I've seen
plenty of MOCs done with the new colours that would show otherwise.

I do agree with what Gary posted earlier--it would be a nice gesture for TLC to
produce old or new grey pieces in bulk, such as roof elements, which would help
the building process out immensely.  That said, if TLC doesn't implement this,
I'm still buying sets and the piece colour will not factor into the purchase
criteria--I knwo whatever set(s) I buy, the pieces will work as they should with
the rest of my collection.

I would also support a few parts packs in original grey.  And I am glad that you
don't have a problem with new grey.  Personally, I find bley incompatable with
my collection.  I will by the occasional set if the model included is
noteworthy, or if the quantity of new grey is held to a minimum, otherwise I
will be purchasing primarily second-hand.

And you've stated such in a polite manner.  Word choice is everything on a
text-based newsgroup.

For me, bley and grey don't mix!

Later.

For me it's not an issue that requires the large amount of animosity I see
directed at TLC or towards the people who are saying that it shouldn't be this
huge a deal from the 'fundamentalist grey camp'.

That is what some 'hate TLC 'cause of the colour change' postings reminds me
of--Zealots (of any religous/spiritual flavour) who have crossed the line from
hobby to obsession.

Dave K