 LEGO Company / 3287
Re: Reply 7: Businesses, Customers and Trust
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:14:32 GMT

Dear Leonard,

Just a small correction and addition here:

The "American Mindset" annotation relates to the example of Davids
experience with Lego fixing a problem, and how exited he was that they
actually did this, not to the starting paragraph. Looks like I did not
seperate these different issues sufficiently.

One thing about the emotions, or, to be precise, _my_ emotions in this
case: I am angry about the colour change. No extra points for guessing
that, I suppose. But the reason is not the diminuishing access to proper
grey and brown bricks.

I consider the colour change a decision that was done without giving it
the necessary thoughts - way to many arguments speak against such a
decision in the first place, and the longer term effects on the brand
will be more negative than positive. The amount of people and budget
involved (they are reminding us time and again that a colour change is
an expensive thing that the company cannot afford again) shows that it
was propably not a single-source error, but must have been a relatively
broad-based decision. And they collectively failed to see (or take into
account) any significant problems with this (like supply problems for
the Legoland park maintainence). This is a prime example of an "Idiots
in Pinstripes" decision. And this kind of stupid waste makes me angry.

The alternative interpretation is even worse, btw: If it was a
single-source error (i.e. one manager in the higher echelon wanted to
make this come true for whatever reason), and nobody stopped this
because they were either not heard or - even worse - they did not dare
to point to potential problems, well, then Lego would be in _real_ trouble.

> (2)= This is getting pretty close to racism here.  The implication
> that only Americans are so deluded as to think they can form
> 'objective' opinions - and that Europeans and Asians are free from
> this.  Isn't it possible that you haven't met the Americans who aren't
> like this, or that you've never met Euros/Asians who are?  Or maybe
> this is a semantics issue (as I suggest above) where you are
> misinterpretting what David met?  Either way, I would try to avoid
> such generalizations, as it gets pretty close to mudslinging, and thus
> ignores the issue at hand.
It is as I stated, I noticed this on several occasions with (north, to
clarify this, too) American people, but never with people frem Asia or
Europe. This has nothing to to with any form or racism whatsoever, it
was just an observation. Nonetheless it fits into the picture of why
"we" Europeans more often than not consider (north) Americans as "odd" ;-)

Yours, Christian