 LEGO Company / 3266
3265  |  3267
Subject:
Reply 2: The PaB walls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:38:48 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:

Example: PaB Walls: Typical question by customers "Why don't you
have these or that parts?". Typical answer: "We have no influence
on what we get sent from Billund". A typical customer question I
overheard numerous times was for minifigs. At least in Oberhausen,
they now have two or three glasses of random minifig parts, but
this took ages to come true. -> a communication problem.
If we were to suddenly expand the PaB selection to 4000 elements,
we'd be missing something for someone. There'd be someone coming in
and asking for something not in PaB. That's the cool thing about PaB
- it gets people thinking.

Of course there would still be complaints if the PaB walls features
thousands of elements, beacause there are still some parts missing for
the one or other single customer.

But: I brought the example of minifigs for a reason. According to PaB
employees in a) Cologne b) Günzburg c) Windsor d) Brighton, the single
most requested part by customers (and by customers I am talking about
TLCs "core customers", i.e. kids and their parents!) were minifigs.

And here, too, was that frustration heard: We might suggest some parts,
but basically it is a "Billund giveth, and Billund taketh away" thing.
It didn't leave the impression that someone was actually listening to
the information the shops sent.

And even when Billund actually (by accident?) sent minifig parts, it did
not leave the impression in the shops that someone actually planned this
or gave it a significant moment of thought. Last year in Windsor, they
had Leg Assemblies in a few designs, and a jar of assorted Head
Gear/Hair. No Torso+Head assemblies whatsoever.

I know that the range and complexity of the minifig parts is almost as
big as of all of the other Lego parts combined, but a mixed jar of
sufficient minifig parts to actually build some minifigs from it should
be possible - I've seen a good start in Oberhausen with that.

We've had problems over the years where there hasn't been enough of
an overall game plan with certain projects. With PaB, there's now a
real game plan, and that means that there is more central control
than perhaps a local store might like. Is that bad? Is that a
communication problem? Not necessarily.
I acknowledge that initially the different forms of PaB came from a) the
point that it was/is an experiment and that b) different parts of your
company did this experimenting. It would be interesting to see the
results of this overall game plan, aspecially, as my purchase habits
have more or less totally turned from sets to PaBs[1]. And whatever the
highups in Billund are planning - it might be a good idea if the shops
could still give input - because - whatever big brain is doing however
much good thinking in Billund - its still the shops that have the direct
contact to the customers.

Yours, Christian

[1] E.g. I didn't buy those "proper grey memorial sets", because I
bought old grey and old dark grey in the Windsor PaB, which was both
cheaper and better fitting my building needs.