 Castle / 13917
13916  |  13918
Subject:
Say it ain't so...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space, lugnet.castle, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:21:25 GMT

Yeah, I knew this question was going to be asked
sooner or later, so I guess I'll have to ask it now.

You see, I took a trip to my local wal-mart the other day to
pick up some school supplies (and hopefully some extra sets
to stock up on), when I noticed that the lego aisle was much
smaller than I remembered.

So, taking a look at the product line (I haven't really been
doing much lego stuff lately, personal business) I noticed that
castle, space and all town sets were ostensibly absent from the
shelves. Heck, even star wars and HP sets were hard to find
amidst the masses of bionicle and other unmentionable sets. (aaagh!)

After my gruesome discovery in aisle 11, I picked up my supplies,
and went to my local TRU, where I always had faith in finding
something (I've never walked out of a TRU empty handed!)
Again, the same thing, No space sets!!! I'm not talking about
SW here, I'm talking about actually space models, you know,
things like exploriens, at least something that looked aeronautically
correct and can packe with a killer design. (I'm not really
a SW afficionado) So, discouraged afterthat loss, I decided to
pick up a few castle sets, after all, a few more chrome parts
wouldn't hurt. Again, to my apparent dismay, me search turned
up nothing amongst those towering shelves of lego, sheesh!
Well, I'll have to say that was the first time I ever stepped out
of that store empty handed. And It's probably going to be my last.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

I don't mean to be impatient or anything, but doesn't anyone
think it's time lego brought diversity back to their product lines?
I'm not talking about launching into meaningless action figures,
or robots named after polytheist island gods, over specialized
town houses that snap together in one minute, or more bandwagon
approaches to company names and licenses. I long to see the day again
that lego once again brings back a more diverse product line (I don't
give a crap about lego direct! Why can't they bring back items to
the shelf?) Does anyone notice that the lego product line began
to turn for the worse arounf 97-98, and just went downhill from
there? I saw some red flags with the Insectiods and LOM, but
this is just squat compared to (I don't want to say it...) GALIDOR.
(shudders at the thought of this...)

What is galidor? I'll tell you. It's probably the major part of
the problem, and might be a precursor to what we see next year...
It's the evil behind the trend, and anyone that watches it should
be banished to a swamp. (okay, maybe I went a bit to far, but I think
y'all know where I'm getting?)

IMHO, with the diminishing product lines, I think a bunch of
people are never going to get the lego experience, and a lot
are probably going to slip into dark ages, including myself, if lego
doesn't do something soon.

Oh well, they probably don't care anyway...they'll just market some
more crappy action figures to cover the loss of one (unhappy) customer.
And please, lego, next time, just release a wave of legends sets, and
sell them through the retail market.

:(

<<_Matt Hein_>>

Someone should start a petition to lego to bring back the once
vibrant diversity to its product line. Your voice counts!

http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/~1112/