Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:48:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, dennett@agate.net (Scott R Dennett) writes:
On 6/13/99, at 9:39 PM, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
I'm fairly certain that LDraw and LEdit weren't written with
subdirs in mind... LEdit doesn't even check if a filename is
valid before saving.  (I once accidentally put a space in a
filename in LEdit on my Win3.1 machine, and now I can't seem
to delete it :-\ )

So can't you just open the .dat file in notepad and delete that
line??

It's not his .dat file that contains the space character -- it's an actual
file on the disk.  Bram was saying that he was using LEdit interactively and
saved a file, giving the name explicitly but accidentally embedding a space
character in the filename.  DOS does allows spaces in filenames, but only
through function calls, and LEdit didn't check for space characters, so it
blindly wrote out the file with the space in the name.  I believe it wasn't
until DOS 7.0 (a.k.a. Windows 95) that the DOS shell allowed the use of
double-quote characters around filespecs.  It -should- -maybe- still be
possible to delete the file under Win3.1 using the File Mangler, or using a
wildcard filespec which contains only the bad filename...that is, if the
file is named "FOO BAR.DAT", then the command "DEL FOO?BAR.DAT" might just
work.

--Todd