Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:30:37 GMT

On 6/11/99, at 8:05 AM, Jeff Stembel wrote:

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney writes:
In order to begin assembling the ldraw.org official (TLG) • model repository, I
need to begin collecting TLG models in Ldraw.  If you have • made any TLG models
you would be willing to contribute to the repository, please • email them to me
in .dat or .mpd format (please no inlining).  Please use the • set number as the
filename, nothing more.

Ryan and I had decided on M####-**, where #### stood for the • set number and **
stood for the last two digits of the year it was released (i.e. • M7140-99 for
the X-Wing).  The date would be replaced by a letter to denote • that it is a
submodel.

Yes, we had, and to explain why; some people might have
unofficial parts in their
model directory to keep them seperate from the real parts, so
the M distinguishes
between a part and an official set. The set year is basically so
that when you think
set 5934 is an adventurers set, that when you go and look at the
model title and
see it followed by a -93 you will know it's not the set you
want. That was just an
example, I just used a number and year and theme so don't go
telling me that the
set was from a different theme and year :)

Hey, wait a minute on the MPD only thing!! Last I knew we were
going to take a vote
on that issue, and if I read the post correctly, Steve said he
was working on an un-inlining
tool(please correct me if I'm wrong). Let me tell you something,
if you want MPD only,
the only sets you'd be getting from me(and I've done a few dozen
total) would be small
ones because I've inlined all my large sets and gotten rid of
the submodels. If it is
going to be inlined, then the way it should be done is that you
leave the header, so that
if a person wants only one part of the model, they can cut and
paste.

I also am in need of model editors to go through these models • and check them
vs. instructions and the actual model for approval.  These • models need to be
accurate so we can rightfully declare them dat files of TLG • models.  If you
would like to help in this area, please email me as well.

For these files, we need a concise header that identifies the • model, the
creator, the creator's email address, and that its a part of • the ldraw.org
model repository.  Here is my proposal for a header:

0 name: 7140.dat
0 Set: 7140 X-Wing Fighter
0 Author: Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com>
0 ldraw.org Official Model Repository
0 http://www.ldraw.org/repository/official/

Instead of just the set name and number, how about this:
0 Set 7140, X-Wing Fighter, Star Wars/Episode IV, 1999

This gives optimum info in the shortest space.

Actually, the way I thought we had agreed on was
0 name: M7140-99.dat
0 X-Wing Fighter
0 Author: LEGO(or TLG)
0 Author: Ryan Dennett(& whatever else you want for yourself)
and if you want, the web address could be added, but personally
I hate
long headers.

How is this for a header?  5 lines isn't bad IMO.  It gives • all the necessary
information as well.  This header should be on the submodels • too, with Set:
being replaced by something identifying it as a submodel for a • certain set
(ie. Submodel: Upper Left Wing Assembly for 7140 X-Wing • Fighter)  Please let
me know what you all think of this.

Like Jeff mentioned, submodels should have the same header
except it should be
something like this
0 Name: M7140a.dat
0 X-Wing left wing