Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:50:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, braml@juno.com (Bram Lambrecht) writes:
I really like the idea of using subdirectories.

Me too -- in a big way -- it's so clean.  If the two most vital applications
(LEdit and LDLITE) do support subdirectories, then IMHO the win is so big
that it's hard not to justify using subdirectories, even if it breaks a few
things for a short time while a bit of scrambling is done to account for it.

It will keep the \models
directory uncluttered and be easy to understand.

Yeah, that's awesome!

Now you still have to
deal subassemblies in the directory system.  Would you name them:
m1-a.dat   1st component of first main model
m1-aa.dat  1st sub-component of 1st component of first main model
m2-a.dat   1st component of second main model
a1-a.dat   1st component of first alterante model
I think that allows for enough levels of components and sub-components
while staying within the 8.3 limitations and not going overboard with the
sub-directories.

That sounds awesome to me.  I like the abbreviations "m" for "main" and "a"
for "alternate" too.

Now we should really test how well sub-directories work with the
current software and how to handle them correctly.
For example, if main1.dat calls m1-a.dat, should the reference be:
1 ... sets\xxxxz-yy\m1-a.dat
or
1 ... m1-a.dat
?

Heh heh.  Excellent point.  It depends if the software does a chdir into the
model's directory after loading it (or equivalent hand-waving).  I'd be
*extremely* impressed if LEdit & LDraw did this.

How necessary is the sets\ directory? Do we want to just go with
c:\ldraw\models\xxxxz-yy\
to keep things simpler, or will that put too many directories in the
models\ directory?

IMHO, you can't really have too many subdirectories in the models directory
unless the software doesn't easily support lots of them.

I only suggested the SETS directory because (a) it tucks them cleanly away
from other models someone might be working on and (b) it might also be nice
to have a SCENES directory for assembling scenes of models/sets.

--Todd