Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ryan Dennett writes:
We MUST keep it in 8+3 format because SOME PEOPLE still do use LEdit,
and if you don't have the files in 8+3 format you can't use the files.

Why can't someone temporarily renamed a file to an 8.3 name while working
on it in LEdit, but keep the names in a non-DOS format for storage and
publishing?

Or what if it were possible to use subdirectories?  Then it could be 8.3 and
not 8.3, both at the same time.

BTW, what happens when set numbers go to 6 digits as is rumored?

Or what about set numbers that are already now have than 4 digits?  Some
existing examples are 880002 and 88002.*  And then there is of course 8205-1
and 8205-2 (two separate instruction booklets in one box) and countless
others with /1, /2, /3, etc.

I think that the way something like the Mos Espa set should be
done is
like this(I don't have the set so this is just an example)
S7171-99.dat  The complete set
S7171a.dat     Anakin's Podracer
S7171a1.dat   A's P cockpit section
S7171a2.dat   A's P engine front
S7171a3.dat   A's P engine back
S7171a4.dat   A's P Pit Droid
S7171a5.dat   A's P Pit
etc. for the rest

Under that scheme, how would you place the three models from set #1974?  How
about the two models from #8205?  How about the two different #8857's?  Or
the two different #6083's?

See how that approach quickly crumbles?

If the year is used to make a unique identifier for a set, then the sub-
models had better be tacked on in addition to the year, otherwise you ruin
the namespace by making it ambiguous again if you drop the year for sub-
models.  If you use a letter instead of the year to make a unique identifier
for a set, then you run into problems with the ordering because it's not
always known which one came first.

--Todd

* http://www.lugnet.com/news/fullthread.cgi?lugnet.admin.database:135