Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:53:44 GMT

At 07:04 AM 6/11/99 +0000, Papp Imre wrote:
1. If we use the plain set number as filename, this may lead to confusion,
because I'm
sure there are identical part and set numbers.

You are correct here.

2. We should extend the header/filename standard to able to identify
official alternate models in a TLG sets (that have building instructions in
the booklet) .

Probably a (very) good idea.

3. Some sets consist of several submodels (e.g. Airport set, has airplanes,
helicopters, trucks, buildings, minifigs etc). It would be nice to have
separate files for the "officially" separate submodels ( for those ones
having separate picture series in the booklet).
Finally we could present a 'shortcut' file for the whole set that arrange
the submodels in similar way as they appear on the box. (In the airport set
e.g. the airplaine is taking off, hmm.)

Suggested terminology:

Set - the whole box
Model - separate models in a set that have instructions in the booklet (1,2,
or more)
Submodel - part of a model that is a separate entity (airplane, car,
building, boat, etc.)
Component - part of a model/submodel that is in separate file for technical
reason
                       (left wing, right wing, etc)

I suggest to rethink our old filename convention like this:

where S<ssss> the set number (e.g. S7140.dat)

<m> optional model identifier. Omit if there is only one model in the set.
Use letters for the model (a, b, c etc.) or underscore '_' for placeholder,
if you have submodel or components to identify.
(e.g. S7140a.dat)

<u> optional submodel identifer. Omit if there is only one submodel in the
model. Use letters for the model (a, b, c etc.) or underscore '_' for
placeholder, if you have components.
(e.g. S7140aa.dat or S7140_a.dat if the set has no alterative models)

<c> component identifer. Omit if you have no components. Use arbitrary
alfanumeric character (e.g. S7140ba1.dat or S7140b_1.dat if the model has no
submodels, or
S7140__1.dat if te set has no alternative models nor submodels but you
created components.

This is a 8+3 compliant format, DOS users will be happy too.

In the file header I suggest change only the set line like this:

0 Set: <set_number> <set_name> [,<model_name>] [,submodel_name]
[,component ]

According to the filename convention. e.g

0 Set: 7140 X-Wing Fighter, First Model, Fighter, Left wing

I hope this is not an 'overspecification' of the problem :).

I don't think it is at all.  I think you're right on with this file system.
From what I've skimmed (sorry, I'm busy this morning) you have done an
excellent job at coming up with a standard system that will eliminate
confusion.  And your idea about set submodels being available seperate is a
good one as well.

The thing is I don't have the time to work with this system at the moment.
I am busy trying to wrap up templates and get people to send me program
download pages ;)  Would you be willing to work with the model repository
and establish this naming system??  I will admit ldraw.org is low on help
here, and a few extra hands would help a lot.  I believe I will be getting
a part or full time job soon as well, so I should wrap up my part of the
deal asap.

Thanks for catching me, but I was just putting a simple number there for
simplicity's sake... :)  I posted that message in about 5 minutes :)

-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com