Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:05:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, tim@zacktron.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
[...]
I think that the way something like the Mos Espa set should be
done is
like this(I don't have the set so this is just an example)
S7171-99.dat  The complete set
S7171a.dat     Anakin's Podracer
S7171a1.dat   A's P cockpit section
S7171a2.dat   A's P engine front
S7171a3.dat   A's P engine back
S7171a4.dat   A's P Pit Droid
S7171a5.dat   A's P Pit
etc. for the rest

Under that scheme, how would you place the three models from set #1974?  How
about the two models from #8205?  How about the two different #8857's?  Or
the two different #6083's?

See how that approach quickly crumbles?

If the year is used to make a unique identifier for a set, then the sub-
models had better be tacked on in addition to the year, otherwise you ruin
the namespace by making it ambiguous again if you drop the year for sub-
models.  If you use a letter instead of the year to make a unique identifier
for a set, then you run into problems with the ordering because it's not
always known which one came first.

Give an example of tacking submodels on in addition to the year.  I am not
clear what you mean by that.

First, tacking on submodels in addition to the year:

S8857-80.dat    8857 Motorcycles
S8857-80-a.dat    First model
S8857-80-b.dat    Second model
S8857-80-c.dat    Third model
S8857-93.dat    8857 Street Chopper
S8857-93-a.dat    First model
S8857-93-b.dat    Second model

That's a clean, orthogonal, workable, forward-thinking namespace.

And now, -not- tacking on submodels in addition to the year (as proposed
three articles up the tree):

S8857-80.dat    8857 Motorcycles
S8857a.dat        First model
S8857b.dat        Second model
S8857c.dat        Third model
S8857-93.dat    8857 Street Chopper
S8857d.dat        First model
S8857e.dat        Second model

Where that approach crumbles is that the models of the '93 8857 get un-
naturally labeled as 'd' & 'e' rather than naturally named 'a' & 'b' inside
a new namespace.  That's not clean at all.

Bram's approach is much cleaner.

Also, with the 8.3 system it is not possible
to come up with a unique identifier for EVERY set.

As Charlie Babbit's brother would say, "8.3 sucks."  :-)

[...]
The only way of accomplishing this unique identifier (and even this won't
do it for all) is to drop the S in the beginning.  But that will make a lot
of part authors unhappy.  It will probably also make me unhappy because all
the sets won't fall under S in my LDAO file manager anymore.  We need to
accept the miniscule limitations of this 8.3 system which we still use and
also accept the fact that our big friendly TLG will find a way to make a
set that goes outside of these rules.

There's gotta be a clean way to do it with subdirectories and still be 8.3,
as Bram was getting at.

--Todd