Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:04:44 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney writes:
In order to begin assembling the ldraw.org official (TLG) model repository, I
need to begin collecting TLG models in Ldraw.  If you have made any TLG models
you would be willing to contribute to the repository, please email them to me
in .dat or .mpd format (please no inlining).  Please use the set number as the
filename, nothing more.

Ryan and I had decided on M####-**, where #### stood for the set number and **
stood for the last two digits of the year it was released (i.e. M7140-99 for
the X-Wing).  The date would be replaced by a letter to denote that it is a
submodel.

I also am in need of model editors to go through these models and check them
vs. instructions and the actual model for approval.  These models need to be
accurate so we can rightfully declare them dat files of TLG models.  If you
would like to help in this area, please email me as well.

For these files, we need a concise header that identifies the model, the
creator, the creator's email address, and that its a part of the ldraw.org
model repository.  Here is my proposal for a header:

0 name: 7140.dat
0 Set: 7140 X-Wing Fighter
0 Author: Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com>
0 ldraw.org Official Model Repository
0 http://www.ldraw.org/repository/official/

Instead of just the set name and number, how about this:
0 Set 7140, X-Wing Fighter, Star Wars/Episode IV, 1999

This gives optimum info in the shortest space.

How is this for a header?  5 lines isn't bad IMO.  It gives all the necessary
information as well.  This header should be on the submodels too, with Set:
being replaced by something identifying it as a submodel for a certain set
(ie. Submodel: Upper Left Wing Assembly for 7140 X-Wing Fighter)  Please let
me know what you all think of this.

Please, any help is appreciated and badly needed at this stage of development.
As a reminder, please fill out the program download template for the
utilities, I have 2 so far and lots to go..

-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com