Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:39:41 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote in message <19990611.150459.8247.2.braml@juno.com>...
"Papp Imre" <ipapp@geometria.hu> writes:
Model - separate models in a set that have instructions in the booklet
(1,2, or more)
Submodel - part of a model that is a separate entity (airplane, car,
building, boat, etc.)

What's the difference between your definition of model and submodel?
Is this correct for the Red Bird Rig (Model Team don't know the number)

1st model: truck w/ plane
submodels: tractor
          trailer
          plane

2nd model: jeep w/ racecar
submodels: jeep
          trailer
          racecar

Yes, that was my idea. It is necesary for us to use the correct terminology
to avoid confusion.

The set is the whole box.

I consider model in a set that has an instruction series in the booklet, an
uses more or less  all the parts from the box. There may be more models in a
set (alternate models) and they share the same set of bricks, you cannot
build them simultaneously. Simple sets contain only one model, but larger
sets may contain two or more.

I consider submodel a part of a model (in the above sense), that stands for
itself, has a separate instruction series in the booklet. See Bram's
example. It is useful to have them separatedly, because when you want to
present 'truck w/ plane' model in the Red Bird Rig set then you might want
to arrange submodels in certain position and orientation.

And finally you may want to have components only for technical reasons. It
is up to the Ldrawer's decision to use it or not.

I think it's a rare case that both multiple models, each with submodels
exist other than in a few Model Team sets.  Do we really want to add the
extra character for these few cases?

My only suggestion is to not confuse alternate models with submodels. If
you merge submodels with components in order to spare a character position
this is acceptable for me.

One last suggestion: If we do use this format, the components character
should be a letter, not a number, because it is likely that some
models/submodels have more than 10 components.  I doubt any have more
than 26, though.

I aggree.

--Bram

Imre Papp