Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 03:13:37 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, tim@zacktron.com (Tim Courtney) writes:
Yes, now which option will we use to eliminate the exceptions to the
rule??

If using subdirectories is cleanly possible, I'd recommend the format

  C:\LDRAW\MODELS\SETS\XXXXZ-YY\MAIN.DAT

where XXXX is the set number, YY is the year, and Z is an optional
modifier on the year (like A or B or C) for cases like set #1974, #6326,
etc.

I really like the idea of using subdirectories.  It will keep the \models
directory uncluttered and be easy to understand.  Now you still have to
deal subassemblies in the directory system.  Would you name them:
m1-a.dat   1st component of first main model
m1-aa.dat  1st sub-component of 1st component of first main model
m2-a.dat   1st component of second main model
a1-a.dat   1st component of first alterante model
I think that allows for enough levels of components and sub-components
while staying within the 8.3 limitations and not going overboard with the
sub-directories.
  Now we should really test how well sub-directories work with the
current software and how to handle them correctly.
For example, if main1.dat calls m1-a.dat, should the reference be:
1 ... sets\xxxxz-yy\m1-a.dat
or
1 ... m1-a.dat
?
How necessary is the sets\ directory? Do we want to just go with
c:\ldraw\models\xxxxz-yy\
to keep things simpler, or will that put too many directories in the
models\ directory?
--Bram