Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:12:42 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
Bram,
I think that's definitely on the right track!  (At least with the
double-and triple-letter combinations.)

Thanks!

Anyway, your proposal above obviously breaks the 8.3 rule

Actually, the only set I can think of in which it would is 7171.  Does
any other set have that large a hierarchy of submodels?

BTW, the year could even be written as a four-digit number if 8.3
wasn't an issue.

I don't think a four digit year is really necessary until LEGO is more
than 100 years old.

[alt. models]

Regardless of all of the mixed opinions here on this subject (of the
dataifcation of alternate models without instructions) -- I think it
would be a very good thing at least to _plan_for_it_ in the namespace.

I agree, especially because some alt. models do have instructions.

Could it work???  How might it work in practice?
Does LDLITE handle embedded /'s in "0 FILE" invocations?  How about
type-1 lines in DAT files?  Can you have something like this?--

1 <affine transformation> foo/bar/glort.dat

It works in DAT files (with \, not /), and it'd be great if it worked in
MPD, but I don't know if it does.  We should probably test how it works
in LDraw\LEdit, ie, where does it look for the directory.

Say, BTW, instead of an "S" prefix on the filenames, couldn't there be
a SETS directory beneath the C:\LDRAW directory?  There is already a
MODELS and a PARTS subdirectory.  It could maybe even go beneath the • MODELS
directory...

Then (this is maybe getting out on a limb) you could have:
[...]
If there's going to be potentially multiple files per LEGO set, then
it seems like a bad idea *not* to use subdirectories -- if it's possible

to use them...?

Your example looks great to me, especially for people who will want every
LEGO set ever built in DAT format.
--Bram