Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:39:38 GMT

At 10:05 PM 6/12/99 +0000, Todd Lehman wrote:
First, tacking on submodels in addition to the year:

S8857-80.dat    8857 Motorcycles
S8857-80-a.dat    First model
S8857-80-b.dat    Second model
S8857-80-c.dat    Third model
S8857-93.dat    8857 Street Chopper
S8857-93-a.dat    First model
S8857-93-b.dat    Second model

That's a clean, orthogonal, workable, forward-thinking namespace.

This makes sense.  Now, are we going to abandon the 8.3 or use
subdirectories?  Both??  If so, lets nail this puppy once and for all so he
can't squirm and find an exception to the rule.  The mere volume of email
I've gone through today makes my head swim, much less the content of that
email.... :P

Where that approach crumbles is that the models of the '93 8857 get un-
naturally labeled as 'd' & 'e' rather than naturally named 'a' & 'b' inside
a new namespace.  That's not clean at all.

Bram's approach is much cleaner.

But WHY would they be unnaturally named???  There is no reason for it and
any competent person would know to start the new set's models or submodels
at a again.

Also, with the 8.3 system it is not possible
to come up with a unique identifier for EVERY set.

As Charlie Babbit's brother would say, "8.3 sucks."  :-)

And as John Bobbit would say, "8.3 is too short!" :)

There's gotta be a clean way to do it with subdirectories and still be 8.3,
as Bram was getting at.

Yes, now which option will we use to eliminate the exceptions to the rule??

-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com