Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:22:21 GMT

John VanZwieten wrote in message ...

Good thinking on this, but there is one problem not addressed:  duplicate • set
numbers.  For this we will need at least one character to distinguish • different
sets with the same number.  But this puts us over the 8+3 characters.  The • only
character we really have to work with under your system is the leading "S".
Perhaps for the second instance of a set number we could call it • "T7140a_1".  I
would be nice, of course, if all sets sorted together under "S", but then • how
to deal with duplicate numbers?

-John Van

What if we would consider the content of a duplicate set as alternate models
of the same set numbers. Eg.  7140 is duplicate set then, 7140a...dat,
7140b...dat, ...  identify the models of the first set, 7140c...dat,
7140c...dat, ...  identify models of the second set.
I assume that duplicate sets are somehow related, so it has a meaning the
consider them as alternate models of the same set (number).
Then the header line in the files may warn the user that these are duplicate
sets.
Of course in the header file there are enough place to include the year of
release according to Jeff's suggestion.

Ampi
Imre Papp
Geometria GIS Systems House