Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:11:51 GMT

Good thinking on this, but there is one problem not addressed:  duplicate set
numbers.  For this we will need at least one character to distinguish different
sets with the same number.  But this puts us over the 8+3 characters.  The only
character we really have to work with under your system is the leading "S".
Perhaps for the second instance of a set number we could call it "T7140a_1".  I
would be nice, of course, if all sets sorted together under "S", but then how
to deal with duplicate numbers?

-John Van

Papp Imre <ipapp@geometria.hu> wrote in message news:FD5IE8.M2t@lugnet.com...
Dear Tim,

I agree with idea to standardize the TLG model header and filename.

Some comments:

Tim Courtney wrote in message ...
Please use the set number as the
filename, nothing more.

1. If we use the plain set number as filename, this may lead to confusion,
because I'm
sure there are identical part and set numbers.

2. We should extend the header/filename standard to able to identify
official alternate models in a TLG sets (that have building instructions in
the booklet) .

3. Some sets consist of several submodels (e.g. Airport set, has airplanes,
helicopters, trucks, buildings, minifigs etc). It would be nice to have
separate files for the "officially" separate submodels ( for those ones
having separate picture series in the booklet).
Finally we could present a 'shortcut' file for the whole set that arrange
the submodels in similar way as they appear on the box. (In the airport set
e.g. the airplaine is taking off, hmm.)

Suggested terminology:

Set - the whole box
Model - separate models in a set that have instructions in the booklet (1,2,
or more)
Submodel - part of a model that is a separate entity (airplane, car,
building, boat, etc.)
Component - part of a model/submodel that is in separate file for technical
reason
                        (left wing, right wing, etc)

I suggest to rethink our old filename convention like this:

where S<ssss> the set number (e.g. S7140.dat)

<m> optional model identifier. Omit if there is only one model in the set.
Use letters for the model (a, b, c etc.) or underscore '_' for placeholder,
if you have submodel or components to identify.
(e.g. S7140a.dat)

<u> optional submodel identifer. Omit if there is only one submodel in the
model. Use letters for the model (a, b, c etc.) or underscore '_' for
placeholder, if you have components.
(e.g. S7140aa.dat or S7140_a.dat if the set has no alterative models)

<c> component identifer. Omit if you have no components. Use arbitrary
alfanumeric character (e.g. S7140ba1.dat or S7140b_1.dat if the model has no
submodels, or
S7140__1.dat if te set has no alternative models nor submodels but you
created components.

This is a 8+3 compliant format, DOS users will be happy too.

In the file header I suggest change only the set line like this:

0 Set: <set_number> <set_name> [,<model_name>] [,submodel_name]
[,component ]

According to the filename convention. e.g

0 Set: 7140 X-Wing Fighter, First Model, Fighter, Left wing

I hope this is not an 'overspecification' of the problem :).

Ampi

Imre Papp
Geometria GIS Systems House
email: ipapp@geometria.hu