Re: IMPORTANT - [ldraw.org] Official Model Repository
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:31:46 GMT

A couple thoughts on Repository format:

Purpose for .dat repository:

If all we are creating is an alternate way of creating instructions, I think it's probably more work than it's worth.  The beauty
of the LDraw .dat file is that it can be configured any way, looked at from any direction, and used for creating scenes, e.g.
POV-Ray.  For this reason it seems more important to me to have separate files for movable or rotating sections of a model than
having separate files for the submodels in the TLG building instructions.  The M:Tron Particle Ionizer someone mentioned is a
perfect example.  In my LDraw version, I use four submodels for the crane arm so that a user could (fairly) easily recreate any
possible configuration of the crane arm.  Inlining these submodels would be a huge waste in my view.

Subdirectories:

My first thought on reading this was "This would be a total pain to implement while building a model using LDraw/LDLite and LDAO."
At least until LDAO handles subdirectories better (I'm not complaining, by the way), editing any file outside the Models directory
is a hassle.  But then I started thinking about how MPD works and realized I wouldn't really have to work with the files outside the
Models directory.  What I could do is have a main file "S6923-90" and subfiles called "S6923a" "S6923aa" etc.  all in the Models
directory.  When I'm finished I would MPD the whole mess, then edit the .mpd file.  I would just replace instances of "S6923" with
"S6923-90\main-".  Once the programmers get the .mpd utilities to create directories, then just by splitting the .mpd file I could
have all the directories nicely created and the files put there.

I guess now I have to break down and get the whole MPD thing working.  For some bizzare reason I've neglected to do so yet.

-John Van