 Administrative / General / 12212
Re: Timeout (was Re: "Some pigs...")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:01:17 GMT

Now I understand that ken is bullheaded and may have justly received this
timeout however I do agree that an apology is in order.

Larry’s so called bad joke was insulting to me, as well as other NILTC members.
Now I know ken could care less about an apology from Larry personally but that's
not the point. The apology needs to be aimed towards the club it's self since
Larry insulted the group as a whole.

In short, making jokes on someone else behalf is NEVER a good idea. This is
something that we all learn when we are young. Obviously someone forgot.

OnDrew
Former founding member of the NILTC.

p.s. what ever happened to freedom of speech?

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
The many personal insults and excessive crossposting by Ken Nagel in this
thread have earned Ken a one-week timeout from posting on LUGNET, beginning
immediately.

It's unfortunate that Ken was let go from his employer. The circumstances of
Ken's end of employment are not and cannot be exactly determined without
further details from the LEGO Company and/or Ken. But after reviewing the
threads in question, LUGNET administration sees no violation of the ToS on
Larry Pieniazek's part in the original thread
(<http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=24035>). Additionally, Ken's employment at
LEGO was more widely known than "friends and acquaintances," as he
wrote`[1`], and has been offered by Ken in other forums (e.g. a Yahoo
discussion group). In fact, Ken has stated within this thread
(<http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12148>) that the prerelease set
information he discussed was available publicly before he discussed it,
whether or not LEGO wanted it discussed. By his own reasoning, therefore,
information within the thread in question can [not] be considered "private."

As stated in other portions of this thread, the email sent by Ken was not
received by most of the administrators. That's unfortunate. Even if it had
been, however, the result would have been the same. The issues regarding
email addresses have been addressed and shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Finally, Ken's accusation that the LUGNET administration refuses to apply
timeouts as necessary within the admin group are unfounded. We will continue
to evaluate posts by admin members (as well as all members) and take action
if and when appropriate. The reputations of each member of LUGNET
administration are resting on this assertion.

Despite Ken's insistence to the contrary, no punitive action is required
against Larry in this instance. Ken may have felt attacked by Larry; but
after evaluation, we find that Larry's reply to Ken's post was not intended
or meant to be taken as an attack. Ken, however, has chosen to remain rude
and intransigent in his responses to various questions; has demanded an
apology from Larry and then demanded more
(<http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12127>); denied that there can be
any other interpretation of events than his
(<http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12150>); refused polite inquiries
by LUGNET admins to elaborate on his initial assertions
(<http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12171>); abruptly dismissed Todd's
attempts at helping address his concerns
(<http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12198>); and flatly stated he
doesn't care what other people think
(<http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12156>). These repeated actions are
inconsistent with the spirit and specifics of the ToS, specifically the "no
personal attacks" section.

Unless and until more facts are provided by LEGO or Ken (if and when he
returns), this issue is concluded.

{Kelly McKiernan}¬
LUGNET Administrator

`[1`] <http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=24082
I knew of Ken's employment with LEGO, and not through Larry or anything
having to do with this issue. I am not an acquaintance or friend of Ken
Nagel's, nor do I have any "inside" information.