 Administrative / General / 12133
Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 04:04:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Ken Nagel wrote:
In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Ken Nagel wrote:

<snip>

"Some pigs are more equal than other pigs" George Orwell-Animal Farm
Ken

On it's surface, Larry's post doesn't seem to be a personal attack nor an
invasion of privacy.  If it was to you, he apologized which in my opinion is
probably the best course action for a unintended offense.

-Orion

"he messed it up..etc" is exactly a personal attack and far less than I was
doing when he decided to start hammering on me and I was in a debate forum where
the comments were appropriate.

It wasn't any of his right to be publicly posting who I work(ed) for.

Ken, use the reasonable person scenario for this issue.  In other words, if I
grabbed some average Joe off the street and showed them Larry's post would they
think is was a personal attack or an invasion of privacy?  Seeing as that the
original post didn't get any replies at all, I would say that the reasonable
person would not think his post inappropriate.

This is matter starkly displays the limitation of the printed word in conveying
the emotion behind the statement.  In face to face conversation your facial
expression and the inflection of you voice reveal whether or not you are
engaging in playful banter or insulting a person for real.  The printed cannot
easily convey the the facial expression and inflestion of a real, live
conversation and therefore the recipient of the message may in fact be offended.
Larry has publically posted the the intention of his post was not to offend.  I
know Larry, I find him to be a truthful person (perhaps a bit too truthful at
times) so I think his statement is genuine.

I could care less about his appology. He owes an appology to the library and
NILTC.

If you think that is neccessary and the other parties feel the same then I don't
see any reason why Larry shouldn't apologize to them as well.