 Administrative / General / 12217
Re: Timeout (was Re: "Some pigs...")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:44:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

   Larry’s so called bad joke was insulting to me, as well as other NILTC members.

I have refrained from entering this “discussion” but I feel I need to insert my .02 and then back out again. Here is the deal:

Ken’s announcement was the joke; Larry only had the hubris to point it out. Whoever wrote the announcement, while trying to be correct by inserting the “®” symbol, made an even bigger gaffe by not capitalizing “LEGO” and by using a plural form “Legos”-- neither of which are correct. The joke is that it probably would have been better to eschew the “®” and just get the term correct.

It is a subtle distinction, but for pendants it is the spice of life. I reacted the same way Larry did, although I didn’t bother to mention it. That Larry mentioned it doesn’t take away from the fact that the “official” annoucement was unprofessional, as any announcement that contains grammatical errors is.

This error happened to provide a new twist on the old brand-dilution debate, and so it appears that Lar couldn’t resist pointing it out. Was it worth the ensuing controversy? I doubt Lar would say so, but it doesn’t change the fact that, in pointing out the error, he in no way made a “bad joke”.

A clear case of shooting the messenger in my view.

YMMV

JOHN