 Administrative / General / 12207
Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:41:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
Well I disagree that Yahoo groups are necessaily public. If you can only join
with the consent of the group moderator, and the messages are only available to
members, I would consider it very bad form to repeat publically anything that is
posted there. I know I would be annoyed if someone from our local yahoo mailing
list posted any personal details I mentioned there (eg my address) on lugnet,
and I know most of the other members would feel the same.

But I'm not sure the Chicago list was the only source of the information we're
talking about here.

Good point about the publicness of the Yahoo group. It equates more to a party
at a private home. Still, I would not expect someone to not share information
discovered at a private party. In fact, one of my examples was going to be if I
post a picture with names of attendees at a LEGO gathering I host, is that any
different? I've certainly done that in the past, and I think lots of other folks
have. And Mike Walsh commented that he sees employment as less private/personal
than information such as age, sexual identity, address, etc.

As to the Ken's question about being able to share anything ferretted out, to be
honest, as long as no laws or contracts are broken in ferretting the information
or sharing it, I see no problem. Now one might want to be circumspect with
certain information, but employment is not something I would generally consider
a sensitive issue.

Here's also a paragraph from the TOS that might be relevant to this particular
issue:

If you are an employee or representative of the LEGO Group, but you wish to post
on your own behalf as an independent LEGO enthusiast and not as an employee or
representative, you are not required by LUGNET to disclose your affiliation.
However, your employer may have its own ideas about your participation; if in
doubt, consult your employer for appropriate posting guidelines.

So a good question is did Ken consult his employer?

Frank