 Administrative / General / 12187
Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:41:41 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <tsl@tsl.bu.edu> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

I too have been catching up, I was out of town for a week with minimal
connectivity.  Boy, what a mess to come back to.

That's awful.  That must have been terrible being fired for being a member
of an online group.  Are you going to sue them for that?  I don't think
an employer can legally fire someone for such a simple reason*.  Please
bear with me, by the way; I'm still catching up on this whole thread.

I would be shocked if Ken was fired for simply being a member of an online
LEGO community (LUGNET or otherwise).  I would be very surprised if Ken's
stance regarding TLC's behaviour during the 10152 re-release discussion
didn't play a significant role in his termination.

So do you really mean that as a direct result of Larry's having mentioned
publicly on LUGNET that you worked for LEGO Brand Retail, you were fired
by LEGO?

[ ... snipped ... ]

FWIW - I knew Ken worked for Brand Retail.  I can't recall how I found out
but I don't subscribe to the Chicago-LEGO Yahoo group.  It may have come up
on one of my visits to Chicago.  Was it ever posted before on LUGNET?  No
idea.  Was it common knowledge?  Hard to say - "common knowledge" is a
rather ambiguous term.  As I recall, his employment by Brand Retail was a
topic of discussion at one NCLUG gathering so probably a dozen people 700+
miles from Chicago were aware of it to some degree (of our dozen only 3-4
are active on LUGNET).  Most seemed surprise someone who worked for TLC
would take the stance he did.

So here is a hypothetical question.  I get to Chicago for work regularly
(about once a month).  Our office is less than a mile from the Woodfield
Store (convenient eh?).  I almost always stop in, sometimes for a few
minutes, sometimes for much longer.  I have also visited the Northbrook
Store a several times and the Michicagan Avenue store as well.

What if I had simply posted on LUGNET that I saw Ken Nagel working at the
LEGO Store?  Would that be an invasion of privacy?  I think not as the LEGO
Store is a commercial establishment which anyone is free to visit.  I would
simply be reporting my observations.  Now if I had a conversation with Ken
Nagel while in the store and he asked me not to post regarding his
employment, then I could see how my doing so would be an issue.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com