 Administrative / General / 12202
Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:57:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ken Nagel wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
Nevertheless, it's quite clear in my mind that Larry did not violate
LUGNET's Terms of Use.  For as Larry and others have pointed out, your
employment at LEGO was common knowledge.  I'm really sorry to hear that
you feel your privacy was violated, but I just don't see the logic in
your assertion that it was personal information.

If that's the case it's pretty much a free for all because I Guarantee I could
come up with all kinds of personal information and start posting it all because
under your logic if I found it out it must have been knowen elsewhere and
therefor is fair game.

You're twisting words here Ken.  What Todd is saying is that you (not somebady
else) posted this infomation in what could be construted as a public forum (the
Yahoo group) without saying that you considered this infomation to be private.
Therefore, since the info was disseminated by you (not somebady else) the casual
reader might think it was ok to repeat this to others.  I can speak only for
myself but if I read a post on a Yahoo group (which I consider to be a public
forum unless specifically stated when I joined the group) I'd wouldn't think
twice about repeating information I learned there.

If you decide to spy on me and learn some jucicy bit about my personal life and
then you publically reveal this information, your assertion is that you did
nothing wrong.  This however is false since it is you doing the revealing and
not me.  If on the the other hand I had posted the same info to a public forum
(without retracting my post or asking the the info not be repeated) and then you
had repeated this elsewhere I would have no cause to complain since I was the
one who revealed the infomation in the first place.  Do you see the difference?

-Orion