 Administrative / General / 12189
Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 03:03:04 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:

Nevertheless, it's quite clear in my mind that Larry did not violate
LUGNET's Terms of Use.  For as Larry and others have pointed out, your
employment at LEGO was common knowledge. I'm really sorry to hear that
you feel your privacy was violated, but I just don't see the logic in
your assertion that it was personal information.

Assuming you do not mind other peoples point of view since you are doing all
this in the public forums I would like to step in and give my thoughts on this
one point.

Ken's working situation IS and WAS personal information. So what if Ken has told
others of it before - this in no way changes the fact that it IS personal
information. IMHO posting personal information about another person is not cool,
you have no way of knowing how that person is going to take it, I think how Ken
reacted is a perfect example of that.

Keep in mind there is a difference between private and personal information.

(taken from m-w.com)

Main Entry: per·son·al
-snip-
1 : of, relating to, or affecting a person : PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL

vs.

Main Entry: pri·vate
-snip-
1 a : intended for or restricted to the use of a particular person, group, or
class <a private park>

I do not think you can argue Ken's working situation was persoanl information.
So Ken's assertion that it was personal information is 100% accurate. And your
assertion that it is not personal information is not correct. It may have not
been private information, but it was indeed personal information.

Now if Larry broke a TOU is another story - I can not find anything that makes
it clear that he did. It would depend on if I am missing part of the TOU.