 Administrative / General / 12192
Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:25:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
Ken's working situation IS and WAS personal information. So what if Ken has told
others of it before - this in no way changes the fact that it IS personal
information. IMHO posting personal information about another person is not cool,
you have no way of knowing how that person is going to take it, I think how Ken
reacted is a perfect example of that.

I want to perform an experiment here to determine if this stance on revealing of
personal information is reasonable.

1. Is it reasonable to say that Todd Lehman's being an AFOL is personal
information?

2. Todd certainly has communicated that to "others" (all of us) before.

3. Have I by stating point #1 shared personal information about Todd and thus
violated this stance on revealing of personal information?

If all of the above is true, then any of us who have ever posted about someone
else have violated this trust. I also violate this trust any time a someone asks
me a question about some hobby/interest that I am not familiar with, so I
suggest the person call another friend of mine.

I personally find that stance I have crafted above unreasonable. Society just
doesn't work that way. But that is how I understand what Mark and Ken have
stated about sharing personal information. So either I am misunderstanding
something about the stance, or the stance is unreasonable. Is that fair?

Frank