 Administrative / General / 12172
Re: "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:32:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I'm not sure what Ken means here, some elaboration might be helpful.
What is it that I've been picky about, exactly?

I think Ken means that your correcting the word "Legos" was being picky.

And how does my being "picky" correlate to the assertion that this was
an "obvious attack"?

I'm not precisely sure, but I think Ken felt that the pickiness slighted
the NILTC announcement.

Up until this incident, I had no idea Ken bore me any animosity whatever.
[...] It remains unobvious to me even now that I know that Ken doesn't
like me, something that I had no idea was the case prior to yesterday.

Do you mean that you think Ken bears you animosity now?

Ken, do you bear animosity toward Larry?

Larry, was it your intention to attack Ken or Ken's sensibilities when you
used the words "messing up"?
No. It was to have a little fun with the notion that the mundanes almost
always mess this wording up.  (...)

Do you think that the person who wrote the announcement was a mundane?

Further I was certain it wasn't Ken that wrote the text, as I said in the
post, but rather that someone else wrote it.

You said you couldn't imagine Ken messing up "this spectacularly."  Did
you mean to imply that you could imagine Ken messing up less spectacularly?
If not, do you think it's possible for someone to imagine such a subtext?

Larry, did you have any idea that Ken wanted his association with LEGO
kept confidential when you posted your reply to his NILTC invitation?
None whatever.
He has stated his affiliation with LEGO Brand Retail in the past, on what
I consider a public group (chicago-lego@groups.yahoo.com), many times.
[...]

Ken, can you forgive Larry (on this one point) for accidentally divulging
this information under the belief that it was common knowledge?

What do you think about Ken's feeling that his privacy was violated
by this?
I'm not sure I agree that it's a valid feeling [...]

Well, but feelings aren't beliefs or theorems.  Feelings are neither valid
nor invalid.  Feelings just are...or aren't.

I'm not trying to pick nits on wording here, I'm getting at something
deeper.  What you posted in reply to Ken's NILTC announcement caused him
to feel wronged.  I'm asking you what you think about his feeling wronged
by what you said.

because the circumstances, in my view, don't support the notion that
there was a privacy violation.

I think I tend to agree, but regardless, Ken did still feel wronged; any
amount of debating the validity of whether or not he ought to have felt
wronged won't change the simple fact that he did.  And I'm asking, where
can we go from there?  My sense is that Ken would appreciate your
acknowledging that he felt wronged by what you said.

Further I'm not sure it's appropriate that he should *want* to keep his
affiliation a secret.

Well, that is a personal decision, right?

--Todd