 Space / 44
Re: Space stations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:21:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
Tom McDonald:
I like Steve's design and must build one and study it. His pocket door is • very
nice, though I hafta admit that the pocket door system on the M3 is only 2
studs wide rather than Steve's 3.

Actually, the door in my system tends to stick too much, making it hard to
open and close.  Especially when the door is located in the middle of a
model, and is somewhat hard to get at.

Hmm, now that you mention it, mine sticks a bit too. "Snug" or "tight" would
be appropriate terms for the M3 pocket doors. But that's because they're
pocket types, the basic design concept that we both used. You've completely
enclosed the pocket for your doors, whereas I didn't. Given the constraints
(making it as small as possible, but also so that a door doesn't slide open at
a mere tilt of the craft) it might be a bit more of a challenge to come up
with something that opens a bit easier but doesn't open accidentally.

While locking mechanisms could be used, it means using more pieces, although
something just came to mind which I'll hafta test out... I'll get back to
y'all later. :-)

I'd like to see a standard docking port that's slimmer than mine.  It would
be nice if it can act as a real-world support point, but that might not be
practical...

I've noticed that, even with a 4-pin docking support that the M3 has, other
craft of significant length and weight (say another M3), will pull out if
unsupported, though the walls around the docking port of each module survived
okay. The real strength (and this could be true IRL) would be how the modules
would be arranged, that is, using other modules to build a stable physical
matrix, perhaps a cube or something similar, so that no one connection is
supporting all the mass.

What might be in order here is maybe a sort of compromise/combination, a new
door entirely, or just a decision one way or the other denoting which is
"official". I don't mind whichever way the wind blows here.

How about we don't specify the door type in the standard?  Any port must
have an airtight door, but the exact spec doesn't really matter.

Sounds good to me. The M3 itself uses 2 kinds of doors.

Independent of doorframe construction, should doorway size itself matter here?
It might look better.

And any port which can also be used as a simple exit door must have a
complete airlock behind it.  But that's a side issue.

Well that's just plain good safety :-)

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake... it's what's for dinner.