 Space / 94
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:43:51 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 McSpamcakeBoy mentioned:

I like it, though in order to preserve "Alpha 1", should we wish to do so,
everything that has a letter should also have a number; so Surface Base LD-A
would really be Surface Base LD-A1.

It could go that way, or LD-A could refer to the installation as a whole,
and LD-Ax would be specific models within LD-A.

I your idea better.

If LD-A1 is the whole site, then the first model in the site would be
LD-A2, right?

I'd rather keep it that 1 means the first thing.

[...]
My preference would be to apply the
letters to each installation, in order of chronological appearance.  (I'd
also prefer that the first installation be a Moonbase. ;)

Good, and I agree. Duane hasn't been as vocal as we have but I know he wants
that base :-) I do too, and the moon is a great place to start. And again I'll
just say that I think the first installation should be the Alpha-1 Rocket
Base. Plus the cool name of "Moonbase Alpha" is applicable too :-)

<Clears Throat>

I agree. That was the first thing that came up in my mind. To begin with,
it would be easy to add on to, just add a baseplate.

I really don't have too much input as to the naming conventions used. I
just want to build. Has anyone had any luck in designing the docking port?
I started working on a couple of docking ideas the other night, and came
away with a battle droid. (How the two are related, I'll never know) Any
thoughts on how large a footprint we want the airlock to have? I've tried
to stay around 6 X 6, or 6 X 8.

You know Tom, I'm beginning to think that you're a pretty good guy, no
matter what Larry says about you. :-)

-Duane