 Space / 122
121  |  123
Subject:
Tabs in web interface (was: Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:37:49 GMT

In lugnet.space, "Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@spamcake.yahoo.com> writes:

Typical Population/Staff Amount
Large and/or
Varied <---------------- Few and Specialized ---------> Unmanned

base   port post outpost relay*
station   waystation depot colony terminal
city terminal platform*

Yuck! I forgot that Lugnet substitutes spaces for tabs made with ^I.

Nope, it doesn't!  Tabs are actually preserved.  If you do a "view source"
on this...

   http://www.lugnet.com/space/?n=87

...you'll see that tabs are actually output correctly as "&#9;" HTML entity
sequences.  It's actually your browser which is converting the tabs to
spaces, but it's also an artifact of using a variable-width font (whatever
your default is, usually Times) rather than <PRE></PRE>.

However, if you simply click the "View Raw Message" link in the upper-right,
it brings you here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.space:87

where you can see the exact whole message with a MIME type of "text/plain".

The reason a variable width font is used for messages rather than
<PRE></PRE> is not for beautification of the messages, but to ensure that
they fit on the screen.  The default monospace font on most browsers is a
really really wide Courier, and 80 characters don't even fit in 640-wide
window.

It doesn't show up that way in the web interface message editing window
though.

I think this depends on how your browser renders the <TEXTAREA> tag.

Sorry about the confusion, in any case...

--Todd