 Space / 212
Re: Space stations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:36:01 GMT

In lugnet.space, Frank Filz writes:
Tom McDonald wrote:
I've noticed that, even with a 4-pin docking support that the M3 has, other
craft of significant length and weight (say another M3), will pull out if
unsupported • <snip>
How about working in some sort of locking connector. Could be as simple
as indents for 1x2 bricks, or could be more complex like a set of
vertical pins which a technic beam is connected to (the half beams would
make nice connectors). In real life, I think long term connections
between space station modules will have bolts or some other connection
more permanent than just a docking ring.

Hmm, intriguing. I like the idea of something else taking the brunt of the
weight other than the pins, but still keeping the pins to keep things
together. I don't have to keep the pins as connectors of course, but they make
for a simple, more convenient coupler that's not gender specific.

If I understand his design correctly, Steve Bliss' airlock needs further
consideration, as I believe that was what he tried to do. But I'm not sure if
his was subjected to the same test that mine was (somebody will correct me if
I'm wrong, no doubt :-)

Of course there is still a problem if you want to dock a large space
ship to the space station.

Yep. I guess a connection like that wouldn't be meant to stand gravitational
or centrifugal stresses, so there's where the fiction of it ends.

Deep Space 9 used to make me smile when I'd see a huge starship connected to
an upper pylon by a comparatively itty-bitty port. In that case, the ship
would hafta rotate to match the station to achieve docking, but even so, any
sudden change in either the ship or the station's position or rotational
velocity would tend rip the port to shreds or strain it at the very least.

-Tom McD.
when replying, "Spamcakey" will be a new character on Pee-Wee Herman's new kid
TV kid show slated to return next fall.