 Space / 141
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:00:10 GMT

Good, and I agree. Duane hasn't been as vocal as we have but I know he • wants
that base :-) I do too, and the moon is a great place to start. And again • I'll
just say that I think the first installation should be the Alpha-1 Rocket
Base. Plus the cool name of "Moonbase Alpha" is applicable too :-)

Hmm. Would we have to mark it as mobile? ;-)

Very funny!  8-)

How big a chunk of space do you want to start with?  And should use real
space-time, or just make it up?  And what method of surveying do would be
best?  Where would the origin be?  Galactic center?  Sol?  Something
arbitrary?

I think the centre of the galaxy would be a good idea, if only as it
will simplify the Maths!  If we said that Earth was (0,0,0) then the
x,y and z axes would be moving all the time.  For one season the Sun is at
(1,0,1) and the next it's at (-1,0,1).  Having said that, it might
help if we always considered the sun to be at the origin (0,0,0) and
the x axis always points to the Earth.  Except the whole universe then
starts rotating at one revolution per year?

I'm against using real space--there's too much research involved.  But if
someone *wants* to do the necessary research, don't let me stop 'em.

I've just tried it and it's hard work.  Just put the name of the
place you want to go into a computer and let it work out the route for you!

Just a thought.

David.