 Space / 112
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:18:00 GMT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:13:54 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

I think it might be cool to just start with what we *very* generally know
about how real space is arranged so far, and then let imagination take over.
That way we could still use some known real names and objects, but are not
strictly limited to them.

If we start with the just the Moonbase, we can put off making this decision
at least until the second installation is started.  If not longer.

* How about we start with 100 parsecs (pc) / 326 light years (ly)? Too big?
Too little?

Hmm.  Do you mean 100 cubic parsecs? Or a sphere with a radius of 100
parsecs (that's 4.2 cubic mega parsecs).

Which reminds me: if we use faster than light (FTL) velocities, what kind of
velocity scale do we want to adopt?

Parsecs per hour?  Which might not apply, depending on the technology.

I also am not against someone wanting to do real research about "what's real"
though I think that once we establish some sort of map, it should be "first
come, first served" so that if someone finds out that IRL there's a huge black
hole where we've put a densely populated set of solar systems, then the hole
has to be relocated.

Agreed.  Not that I expect it to be an issue.

Maybe, if at all, were you thinking to label sections of space with more
proper names, such as "Badlands", "Star Nursery", or after major nearby • stars,
and other terms like that?

Something like that.  But I'm not feeling a strong opinion here.

I'll go either way about this, just so long as we can agree and document where
areas are. But please explain what you were thinking, as I'm curious. Start a
new thread!

I wasn't thinking anything specific, except I wanted to avoid names like
"Space Station <3.45, 4.65, -2.56>".

Steve