 Space / 928
Re: Space stations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 04:18:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, Patrick Leahy writes:
I might use IMO if I knew what it stood for.  So many acronyms, so few times
you hear what they stand for.

IMO, aside from a sour-cream substitute, stands for "In My Opinion"

A permutation of IMO is IMHO, where all is as above, and H=Humble. Some people
view IMHO as an oxymoron, because if you are truly humble, you don't go around
giving your own opinion.

Larry P might be able to point you to a netiquette site, but I'll list a few
acronyms here that'll help you in newsgroup postings.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know (use this when you *know* you're correct)
BTW = By The Way (another idea/question that is less important, but still is)
FWIW = For What It's Worth (cushions opinions as a reader what it's worth)
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly (similar to AFAIK, but with less certainty)
LMK = Let Me Know (used to solicit response from proposed ideas even if you
won't read those responses)

Such ideas (used as acronyms merely for the sake of brevity) make the written
word less harsh to read. Since it's all we have to go on, such formalities
work wonders in building a community rather than seeming to exalt one person's
views above another.

-Tom McD.
when replying, the first lava-lamps had spamcake in them.

The San Francisco Bay Area Users Group
http://www.baylug.org