 Space / 883
Re: Space stations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 05:49:10 GMT

Resurrecting an old thread ...

In lugnet.space, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Tom McDonald:

Wow. You mean establishing a docking standard so that our
MOC's could actually link/dock assuming we ever meet IRL?
That's cool and worth a few pictures when it ever happens.

I must admit that I consider Steve's docking ports[1] _the_
standard, but yes.

Jacob was referring to this port:
<URL:http://www.geocities.com/partsref/br/br-dport.html>

Two big problems with my door design: the door sticks, and it needs a bunch of
parts and there's no way to motorize or add an external HOG-activation knob.

Has everyone seen the sliding door in the B-Wing Star Wars set?  It's a pocket
door, with two panels which slide into the wall.  Each panel is two 1x2x5
bricks mounted on a 1xn plate, which sit on a tile.  There are some extra
parts to keep everything together, and give the kids a knob to grab, but the
basic door is very simple and works nicely.

And the really cool thing is this: it's very easy to add a few Technic bits to
connect the doors, so they open and close together.  Basically, you put a 1x4
rack (a tile with gear teeth on it) on top of one of the doors.  Then use an 8-
tooth gear (the small ones), mounted on an axle, on top of that.  Invert
another rack on top of the gear, use a plate and some headlight bricks to
connect the top rack to the other door, and your set.

from the side, the rack and gears look something like this:

  VVVVVVVVVV  <- top rack
      *       <- small gear
  ^^^^^^^^^^  <- bottom rack

It would also be very easy to add extensions to these working parts, running
an axle to the outside of the ship, allowing you to open and close the doors
by remote control. :)

Steve